To push users to upgrade to its latest OS, Microsoft has made the Windows 10 upgradation free for genuine users initially. While Microsoft has officially said that this offer is available only until 2016, there’s still a way for upgrading to original Windows 10 for free, to genuine users.
If you’re a user of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, and holds a valid (genuine) software, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free, absolutely. The regular update option by downloading the Windows Media Creation Tool or through an ISO image still works. It’s just, unknown to many, as hidden by Microsoft!
This working trick was confirmed by a Reddit user, who claims to be an employee of Microsoft, and said the one-year free upgradation was mere a promotional tactic. Thus, users of genuine software are still eligible for upgrading to the official Windows 10. Here’s how;
How to Windows 10 Upgrade For Free?
- Go to Windows 10 download page and install the Windows Media Creation Tool for installing the OS. You can also get the ISO image of Windows 10 if wanted.
- Upon downloading, open the tool and click on “Upgrade this PC now“.
- You’ll be shown the regular installation windows, accept the terms and conditions, and choose to upgrade where you keep all your information.
- That’s it. Following the next slides with OK and Next is all you need to do. Doing a fresh installation of such will get you the Windows 10 OS on any PC. You can check the available upgrade paths to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or later here.
- Once done with this installation, connect to an active internet connection and go to Windows Update in Settings.
- Here, click on the “Activate” button to get upgraded to Windows 10 for free, provided that you’re previously using a genuine OS of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. If you’re asked for a digital license key (product key) you can try the one that you got for your previous OS.
You should also make sure that you’re an individual upgrading to Windows 10 for free based on genuine OS using now. Corporates are not eligible for this offer.