While users are getting more vexed with Microsoft’s stance on Bing in its Windows 10, reports surfaced to suggest a solution for this problem. Users have already found a way to disable Bing in the Registry Settings until Windows 10 1909, but this was removed by Microsoft in later updates. Yet, there’s a new solution lying on the same path, to disable Bing’s results and ads in the Search box.
A solution to Disable Microsoft Bing
Microsoft has long been pushing its native browser Edge and Bing Search to users all ways possible. While this is to compete with Google’s Search and Chrome, advertising aggressively like displaying an ad banner in the Search box are intrusive. It has completely integrated the Bing in its Windows 10 code, making it almost impossible to escape from this trap.
Yet, we’re glad that it gave other options to choose others as default, even though it pushes users constantly to make itself as default. While this still has been intrusive, there are ways to evade this. Though Microsoft has covertly removed support for disabling Bing in May and October updates, there’s still a solution. Here’s how;
How to Disable Bing in Windows 10?
- Type “regedit” in the Windows Search to open the Registry Editor
- Upon opening it, navigate to
Computer > KEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE> Policies > Microsoft > Windows > Explorer.
(Make sure you follow the right path. And if the Explorer folder isn’t available, then make one by right-clicking on Windows folder and creating the key with the name “Explorer”.)
- The Explorer folder will be empty by default, so you need to open the Registry Editor to make necessary changes to disable the Bing.
- On the right pane, right-click to create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Now, name the value as “DisableSearchBoxSuggestions”.
- Next, set the value to ‘1’ to disable both Bing and ads in Search.
- Finally, end the “Search” process in Task Manager or close the Registry Editor and restart Windows to see the changes.
- And in case of changing mind, you can open up the same Registry Editor to bring back Bing. Just deleting the Registry value to “DisableSearchBoxSuggestions” and rebooting system or ending the “Search” process via Task Manager should bring back Bing.
Source: Windows Latest