We see so many errors in Windows, like “This Copy of Windows is not genuine.” However, most errors can be easily solved by just restarting your PC or having a simple fix. Here, we will talk about fixing the “This copy of windows is not genuine” error.
One of the common reasons for getting this problem is using pirated Windows systems as the pirated system does not have legal functions. In addition, there are security holes that can put your PC at risk.
When you see the “This copy of windows is not a genuine” error, the desktop wallpaper on your system will be converted to a black screen; the battery life is decreased as this message keeps popping up on your system. In addition, some of the features will not work till you fix the problem. This can be annoying while working, so let’s see the methods to solve this issue.
How to Fix “This Copy of Windows is not Genuine” Error?
There are few ways in which you can try to fix the problem. However, these methods will help if you use a legal version of Windows OS; if you have a pirate copy, you can convert it to the genuine one.
Method 1: Use the SLMGR-REARM command
Use this command and fix this problem in Windows 32-bit and 64-bit and in all versions of Windows.
- Click on Start, search cmd, and then right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Paste the given command, SLMGR–REARM or SLMGR /REARM, and hit enter
- A confirmation window will pop up, click ok, and restart your PC.
REARM command will reset the licensing status of the machine.
Method 2: Use the RSOP command
- Open the Run window by pressing Windows and R keys
- Type rsop.msc and press enter
- On the left-hand side, look for Windows Settings, click on it and open security settings.
- In that, go to system services.
- Look for Plug and Play services and do right-click on it
- In the startup, mode click on Automatic.
- Again open Run by pressing Windows + R keys and paste gpupdate/force in the box.
- Restart your PC.
Method 3: Check your License is Legal or not
If you have bought a paid license and are getting the problem, please check whether it is legal or not. If it’s a fake one, then contact with Microsoft team and report the software.
Method 4: Uninstall update KB971033 on Windows 7
The KB971033 update has Windows Activation Technologies, and the updated file helps you to detect whether Windows on your system is genuine or not. This can be a source of problems if you are using Windows 7.
Here’s how you can uninstall the update to solve the error:
- In the search box, type Control Panel and open it
- Go to the Windows update section
- Click on View installed update
- From the installed updates, look for update KB971033 and click on uninstall
- Now, restart your computer and check the issue is solved or not.
Method 5: Turn Off Updates
Turn off automatic updates to avoid getting this message.
- Open Control panel and go to Windows update
- Click on Install Updates Automatically option
- Select Never Check for Updates
- Click on apply and then restart your computer.
We hope these methods did help you to fix the error message. However, to avoid such troubles, it is better to use legal Windows copy.