Comparing files and documents on a PC regularly is hectic. As, it is obvious that the more files on the computer, the more junk is there. So, the solution to remove the duplicate files is to compare the files regularly. But comparing the files manually is not possible. At this time, you can use the file comparison tools that are very effective.
Here we have collected a few of the file comparison tools that will help you remove the junk files from your device. Most of the means provided here are free, and the paid tools have a free trial version. So you can check out anyone from below.
List of 10 Best Free File Comparison Tools for Windows 10
There are many types of file comparison tools available with a specific variety of data and file formats. Here, we have shortlisted a few of the best file comparison tools for easy use.
ExamDiff is a free tool for file comparison that works on Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP/2003/Vista/7/2008. This tool is quick and easy to use with many convenient features.
- Just enter a directory name for one file.
- It remembers the last two compared files user-specified number.
- Auto pick feature remembers the matching file pairs.
- The file changes are detected automatically and ask the user to re-compare the files.
- The drag and drop feature is supported.
- Easy navigation and search.
With KDiff3, you can upload up to 3 files at once. On the interface, you can view the files next to each other. It offers an automatic merge-option, and an inbuilt editor is available for solving the merge-conflicts.
- It merges two or three text input files.
- See the differences line by line and character by character.
- Automatic merge-facility
- Supports Unicode, UTF-8, and other codecs
- Auto-detection via byte-order-mark “BOM.”
- Manual alignment of lines
- KIO on KDE lets you access FTP, sFTP, fish, and.
WinMerge is an open-source merging tool for windows. This tool can compare both files and folders and shows differences in a visual text format that is easy to understand. It is instrumental in determining what changes are there between the projects and then merge the changes.
- 3-way File & folder Comparison New!
- Supports Unicode, Microsoft Windows XP SP3
- Visual difference and merges text files
- Flexible editor
- Shows Highlights differences
- Shows folder compare results in a tree-style view
- Fast compare using file sizes and dates
4. Tk diff
Tkdiff is a simple file comparison tool that provides a side-by-side view of the two files’ difference. And it also shows few other features like diff bookmarks, a graphical map for quick navigation, a facility for slicing regions, and more. This tool works with plain text format and TCL documents. Using this tool is very easy, so any type of user can handle it.
- It runs on multiple platforms
- Provides reports on the size of changes.
- Interfaces with SCM systems like Git, Mercurial, subversion, and more.
- Supports 3-way merging
- It is usable with multiple different engines.
5. Diff Doc
One of the best file comparison tools that compare files fast, correctly, and efficiently. No matter what you use, MS Word, WordPad, or any editor, you need to load the original and changed files and then click on the refresh button to compare files. It also lets you compare folders to see what files have changed. However, the tool is not free to use, but it gives a free trial to trial, and then you can decide to buy it or not.
- Compare MS Word documents, Excel, MS DOC, PDF, Text, HTML, and more.
- Select any portion of the document and compare it
- It does comparisons word to word or letter to letter.
- View differences with “All In One” and “Slide by Slide” views.
- Compare text from any app by cutting and pasting to “Diff Doc.”
Price: Free Trial, Premium price is up to $399.95
Meld lets you compare files, directories, and version controlled projects. There are two, three ways of reaching both files and directories. You can review the code changes and understand patches. It can also help you to find out what is going on in the merge.
- As you type, file comparisons update
- Two- and three-way comparison
- Visuals make it easier to compare files.
- Supports Git, Bazaar, Mercurial, subversion, etc.
Diffuse is a simple and powerful graphical tool that lets you compare and merge text files. You can easily compare random files, and it provides you the option to adjust the match manually. It also recovers the files from Darcs, SVK, Monotone, Git, Mercurial, and more to compare and merge.
- Compare a Set of Files
- Compare Specific Revisions
- Inspect a Revision
- Review Local Changes or Fix Merge Conflicts
DiffMerge app visually compares the files and merges them. It works on different platforms like Windows, Mac, and Linux. The differences between the two files are represented graphically. Moreover, it also has features like intra-line highlighting and has support for editing. And it also shows merging graphics between three files. Whenever it is possible, it allows the files to connect automatically. While displaying the files, it compares two folders side-by-side.
An advanced software tool that allows you to compare two files in text or in binary form to find out whether they are the same or not. The user interface is simple and easy to use; once you open the tool, a fullscreen window will be opened. With the comparison mode, you can start indicating the two files you want to compare. It is a freeware tool with options to customize keyboard shortcuts, file backups, personalize UI fonts, and more.
Workshare compare detects the changes over two documents within seconds. No matter what device you are working on, you will never miss anything. You can compare word documents and also PDFs (text-based). The program makes sure that no little change is missed while comparing the files.
Price: Free trial, pro version starts from $15.
Using these tools is the best way to compare files and documents. These tools will help you to analyze the documents and files and can also merge them if necessary. We hope this list of file comparison tools was helpful to you.